It has been a growing concern about people who spend too much on computer games, whether it’s online or offline and seems to be obsessed with their games. Some features of the games make for compelling entertainment and an enjoyable pastime if you have nothing to do. However, there are just too many games that can be harmful. Also, nowadays, the amount of time people spend on computer games is increasing and because of this, there are too many risks involved.
Here are some problems that people are having from playing too much computer games.
- Spending too much time playing games on computers can give you shoulder pain. Too much time means playing for more than three hours a day. This is caused by sitting in a hunched position that leads to poor posture.
- Playing computer games can give you carpal tunnel. Playing computer games involve fast and repeated movements of the hand and wrist. This is how a carpal tunnel syndrome is developed.
- It can cause tendonitis. Gamers often overused their hands and wrist, which often developed to tendonitis. This is a painful inflammation of the thick tissue that connects your bone to your muscle.
- Computer games often damage your eye vision. Because of the long hours facing the computer, digital eye strain is developed. If you are suffering this effect for the long term, you’ll likely reduce your visual abilities such as blurred distance vision.
- Computer games can harm your hearing too. Playing computer games mostly involved loud sounds. Because of this, there is a possibility that the spiral shaped bone in the inner ear (cochlea) will get damage. This plays a vital role when it comes to hearing. It looks like a tine snail which is responsible for picking up impulses and sending them to the brain. The brain then interprets these as frequencies of sounds. If these get damaged, you’ll likely have hearing loss.
Poor performance in school
Almost all students, in all levels of study, are fond of video games. It’s one of the enjoyable activity regardless if the student is playing alone or with a group. Too much time spent on playing computer games could inevitably affect the performance of one child in school. It can reduce the chances of a child in achieving success in his studies. This is because playing video games often results in poor sleeping habits. As a result, they’ll attend classes feeling tired. They won’t be able to concentrate and possibly, won’t be able to understand their lesson. Video games take away time from students that they should be spending doing school works or to prepare for their lesson. Another effect of playing too much game is not being able to do assignments and pass projects on time.
Lastly, students who become addicted to video games often cut their class to play their game. This eventually results in having poor grades because of not being able to attend their classes.
There are lots of studies conducted and a large body of evidence that computer games, especially those violent ones, contribute to aggression and violence of a gamer. People, especially children, who often play violent video games, are likely to develop aggressive thoughts and violent actions. If they always play it, they’ll be immune to it. Then they’ll be more incline to act in a violent way and lose their empathy. Also, exposure to violent computer games is associated with emotional callousness.
Violent video games are harmful because they are interactive and promote role-playing. Experts said that these might serve as virtual practice for actual violence. These can influence the behaviour of the player. This will result in a person being less affected by violence, and there is a higher chance that they’ll commit the violence themselves.